Fedora Core 2 installation patch for Epia Mini-ITX
As you may be aware the original Fedora Core 2 installation will just keep rebooting on an Epia Mini-ITX machine. There are many newsgroups articles about this subject but I believe that they are all a little confusing so here is what I had to do to install Fedora Core 2 on to my Epia Mini-ITX CL600 machine.
First download the patch from http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/c3boot-2.iso and burn it on to a cd, then boot off of the new burnt cd.
The next set of instructions assume the text version of the installation
- Go into the text installation by typing linux text at the prompt
- Keep going through the installation until you get a warning message that the fedora disc is not in the drive, swap the original Fedora Core 2 disc 1 back into the drive.
- Go through the normal installation steps for Fedora Core 2 until it says the installation is complete, then remove the CD then type Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get a console window.
- The original Fedora Core 2 disc had already ejected so replace that with the patched CD that you burnt before starting the installation.
- I then made a directory in /mnt/sysimage called source.
- I then mounted the patched cd onto that directory [Note: the cdrom device is in tmp on my installation not /dev like other instructions say] mount /tmp/cdrom /mnt/sysimage/source -t iso9660
- Then chroot /mnt/sysimage
- rpm -Uvf /mnt/sysimage/source/kernel*
- once that has finished type Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go back to the original installation
- Reboot as per original installation and it should boot into a working kernel